Higgins Beach Meeting
- No defined center
- Character is Schizophrenic – different areas of town want different things
- Traffic is extreme
- Our traffic is complex because there is access everywhere
- Why pursue growth – it leads to more traffic
- Pass through traffic is intense
- Scarborough offers the best roads for cycling
- Bicycle paths needed
- We need public transportation – It would be nice to have shuttle into town
What attracted you to Scarborough?
- The beauty of coming into town on Broadturn road many years ago – it was beautiful and welcoming. We came from Vermont and we thought the farmlands were unbelievable.
- Uncle had summer rental and introduced her and her sisters to Scarborough, who have since bought homes here.
- I summered in Maine as a child. I think we should approach Higgins Beach with a light touch and leave it alone.
- I’m the 6th generation of my family to be here in Higgins.
- I’ve followed my parents to Higgins Beach
- My future wife brought me to Higgins – we liked the beaches,the schools, the proximity to Portland.
- I’ve been here since 1987. I wanted to be at the beach in an area with a rural feeling.
- Quality of Senior Living (Piper Shores) facilities are important.
- We have always been coastal folks.
- I’ve been a part of Higgins since 1939. I came with my parents – we summered here from New York. I eventually bought here as an adult.
- No choice but to be in Scarborough – I was born on a farm on 77. Went to school in Boston then bought here in 1960
- Attracted to friends and family here – Higgins was a community, not just a beach location. People of community are fantastic
- Calm, peaceful evening atmosphere at the beach
- Scarborough is unique.
- Scarborough needs to increase funding at schools to maintain quality
- We can’t attract people without providing quality schools
- Look at fiscal impact of cost of schools for all
- Town needs to look at infrastructure
- Town needs to do a better job of bridging the need for quality schools to everyone in the community. I believe everyone wants good schools. We may differ on how to get there.
- Need more ways to involve more citizens in the discussions
- Schools need to reach out to the community
- We may need to change to Council districts. We are at a point where areas of town need representation, rather than just area wide representation.
- Use a light touch
- Look at what has happened to beach communities to the south. Carolinas, New Jersey, New York – overcome with development, destroying the character of the Beach towns
- Maintain the differences in the community and preserve what is unique.
- Understand the character of all the areas of Scarborough. You may not have a single set of characteristics of Scarborough – but each area has characteristics
- Preserve old homes and architecture
- Find the qualities that will unite the different areas of Scarborough. What are we all connected to – is it the Marsh? It could be multiple concepts
- Erase the agricultural heritage of the community
- Let too much growth happen.
Share on Facebook
Share on Linkedin
Email this link