- We need more people that live and
work in town.
- A qualified and available workforce is the number one issue
for employers in town, we don't have enough.
- University of New England (UNE) has several medical programs that attracts employers. UNE also has a lot of research around Saco Bay – marine
research. We should put the emphasis on that.
- Leveraging partnerships with universities and research centres is key for bringing more businesses.
- It's a disadvantage that every town in the region is working on their own. We should collaborate more. Partnerships possible with Falmouth, Cape
Elizabeth, Westbrook, etc.
- Scarborough is attractive as a place to live and that should be a
driver for growth – Beach and Turnpike with tremendous transportation
connectivity and we are close to airport.
- Haigis Pkwy has all the infrastructure but there is too much wetland and not enough developable area for a
- Jobs related to healthcare industry are expanding.
- What kind of businesses could go into Scarborough Downs? That is one
of the most permissive zoning regulations.
- Look to Reston, VA as a model. How big do we want to dream for Scarborough Downs? Haigis Pkwy – why are businesses not
coming? We need to look at new concepts. Now employers want to be in a Town setting and Haigis Pkwy feels remote.
- Create opportunities for
co-working space and let's try to attract the creatives.
- Younger workers are looking for affordability
and walkability – living close to work
What makes Scarborough
- Industry cluster that we have here –
possibilities for movement of employees and working relationship
- Not the cheapest place to do business
- Labor Force is key – well-educated workforce
- Culture of the region – Portland cultural
- Close to the airport
- Higher education has become more
- Beautiful, untouched, uncrowded
- People are friendly
- Nature is close by
- Clarity of passion for the
SEDCO maintains an online database/certificate of occupancy
for new – online.
Get high speed internet in Town is needed***
Sunlight Financial – came here because 5,000 employees in
the region for that field of work